Whether you are new to the business of selling cars for a living or you have been doing for years, here are a few car salesman tips and car sales tips to help keep your head in the game and further your car salesman career. Selling cars to the public is not like any other retail job and not everyone is cut out to be a car saleswoman or a car salesman. Some people may have some of the skills that are needed to be a successful car salesman and the others can learn what they need to know to become successful and make more car salesman commission. See 100 Car Salesman Tips Here...
These car salesman tips touch briefly on the different things that you already know and maybe some things that you need to learn to become a professional and effective car salesman or woman. Keep these tips for car salesmen in your head and work on the items or areas where you might need some improvement such as your car sales closing techniques.
Car Salesman Tips to Sell More Cars
1. Every car buyer is different. No matter who you are trying to sell they all have different backgrounds, budgets, wants, needs and desires. No two car deals are exactly the same and if you think they are you are loosing sales.
2. People need to have cars and they have to buy them somewhere so it might as well be from you and your dealership. No matter what they say when you first meet them, they want to buy a car. PERIOD.
3. We have all heard the term “Buyers are Liars”. The customer uses lies and deception for a reason and that reason is to defend themselves from the car salesman that is known for taking advantage of the average car buyer. They may tell you the truth later, but only if you earn their trust so you can overcome their car sales objections.
4. Don’t lie to your customers. I didn’t say you have to tell them everything you know, but don’t lie to them. If you don’t the answer to their question, tell them you don’t know and that you will get them an answer.
5. Customers will ask you what seems to be senseless questions when you are working with them. You first reaction would be to say what does that have to do with buying this car, but the real reason for some of their questions is to test you. Customers will test your knowledge and honesty so they decide if they want to buy a car from you. See car salesman tip #4 above.
Car Salesman Tips to Make More Money
6. Don’t bad mouth the other car dealer. They don’t want to hear how bad the car dealer is across town. They were there earlier today or yesterday and they did not buy a car from them. If the other dealer or car salesman was so great they wouldn’t be talking to you, they would have bought the car from the other dealer.
7. Dress, smell and act the part. Look like a car sales professional, dress appropriately in clean and pressed clothes, don’t smell like an ashtray and have a positive attitude. You can (maybe not) overcome a poor first impression, but it just makes things harder on you and it will affect you car salesman income so heed this car salesman tip.
8. Know your product. Knowing the product won’t sell cars on it’s own, but you customer needs to feel comfortable about spending a large amount of money. If they feel that they are working with a car salesman that doesn’t know what they are talking about you are likely to create another “Be Back”.
9. The “Be Back Bus” doesn’t stop here. I think I can safely say that less than 2% of the customers that ask for your card and tell that they will be back won’t. Yes some do, but you will never make a good living waiting for “Be Backs”.
10. The car buyer can smell desperation. When you are desperate to sell a car your customer will sense that like an angry dog can smell fear. Even if you desperately need to sell a car the customer needs to believe that you aren’t. Desperation will turn them off so quick you will wonder what you did or said. This is one on the most important car salesman tips that can make a huge difference.
11. People like to talk about themselves. Yes, even the shy and introverted customers like to talk about themselves. If you can get them to trust you and find some common ground you can get even the shyest people to talk you ear off and provide you with everything you need to sell them a car.
12. The car buyer wants to FEEL like they are getting a deal. This a very important car sales tip, whether they made a great deal or not they need to FEEL like they made a good choice. They want to feel like they got a good deal. Almost all buying decisions are made with emotion, so the way they feel about you, the dealership, the car, the price or the deal is critical to you being a successful car salesman and overcoming objections.
13. Car buyers will pay more for a car than they need to when they believe that the value of your service and the value of the dealership outweighs the price. This is an important car salesman tip and I am not going to type it twice so read again and again and again until it sinks in.
14. People can buy cars from any number of different car dealers. Especially new cars because new cars are a commodity no matter where you buy them so the real difference is you.
Tips for Car Salesmen and Car Saleswomen
15. Treat your customer like they own the joint. When you treat your customer like they are the best customer you ever had it will return to you in many ways. They will send you friends and family to buy cars and they will also want to buy more cars from you in the future. Plus they will give you a great C.S.I. score which may mean a bonus if your dealer uses that as a measurement.
16. Know your inventory. Whether it be new or used inventory you should have a good idea of what you have in stock so you can switch them to another car if the need arises. There can be any number of reasons so knowing what to suggest or show and this car salesman tip will put you way ahead of your competition.
17. Leave you problems on the curb. When you get to the dealer you need to have your head in the game. Selling cars for a living requires you to have your head in the game at all times. You need to have the answers, ask the questions and be a step ahead of your customer at all times. Learn to leave you problems at the curb and you will sell more cars with this car salesman tip.
18. Shut up and listen. You have two ears and one mouth so listen twice as much as you talk and learn when to shut up. See Shut-up a Car Salesman Tip the post. The power of know when to talk and when to shut up can make a huge difference in your car salesman commission.
19. Look them in the eyes. If you have have a tendency to look away when people look you in the eye you better get over it. Most people do, but when you look your customer in the eye when you speak it feels sincere. You can also pick up on their level of commitment and sincerity when you look them in the eye.
Car Salesman Tips for the Good Life
20. Sell your customer not the desk. The sales manager has been in your shoes and has a pretty good idea when you are selling them on why they should take the deal. Stop selling the sales manager and sell the car buyer.
21. Don’t forget the extras. Whether it is your dealership’s policy or not you need to sell the extras. No matter how hard it was to close or how tight the payment was to reach you might be able to sell them accessories or options. Some car buyers are conditioned to buy the extras and you will loose an opportunity to make more money if you can them them some extras. You might be surprised who will buy the extras if you give it and honest pitch. Plus you can turn a “Mini Deal” into a good deal with some extras when you follow this car salesman tip.
22. Don’t leave money of the table. If you don’t get it out of your customer the F & I Manager will. If your car dealership has a good F & I Department they will get the money and commission that you left behind. I don’t know about you, but i like money in my pocket rather than give to the Finance Manager so don’t give up too easy.
23. Follow Up. Follow up on everything whether it is sold new car customers, used car customers, “Be Backs” or customers you sold a year or more back. Stay in touch and ask for referrals this car salesman tip will provide you with future income.
24. The Delivery. The last person your customer sees before they leave the dealer is you. Thank them, show them all about their new car, inspect the car with them and make sure they are happy after the F & I Manager has been grinding them for a warranty, insurance and service agreements. Make them happy so the last thing they remember is you.
25. Enthusiasm. Enthusiasm sells cars when your customer feels your enthusiasm. Make them feeling that you are happy to see them, meet them and help them. be enthusiastic about the car, the dealership and everything they have to say. Don’t be phony or they will sense it, but you are excited to have a customer that wants to buy a car, aren’t you?
I hope these car salesman tips help some of you sell more cars. They have come from some of the top sales people I have known including myself. You can make a six figure income selling cars for a living if you decide that you will. There are thousands of good car salesmen and car sales women making a very good living as a successful car salesman and some of the other automobile sales careers. These are not necessarily used car salesman tips or for new sales people, car buyers are still car buyers.
You can learn how to be a good car salesman because there is no such thing as a born car salesperson. If you have more car salesmen tips please add them to the comment box below and I will add them to the list. Scroll down and you will see car sales tips from our readers.
Later, Fresh Up on the Lot